(South) Awixa Avenue Historic Homes
Some of the historic homes on (South) Awixa Avenue:
26 Awixa (show full size)
32 Awixa (show full size) Built in 1897 by William H. Wray, and named "Whileaway", who sold the home to Fred Lemmerman and then on to William Clarkson. Clarkson had the home for about 68 years and sold it to Janet Lambert and her husband whom had 11 children in the house. In October 2003, Dr. Mark Foehr, his wife Suzanne, and their three children moved into the home. Extensive renovations were undertaken. (Home listed in Long Island Country Homes and Their Architects 1860-1940 pg 532). The home is reported to be haunted by the ghost of Adeline Wray. Home was sol on Aug. 28, 2007 to the Pearsall Family.
47 Awixa (show 1955 photo full size) Built by Elwood Mildeberger and named Oakelwood in 1904, in the design of an English Gatehouse. See 1930 Social Bluebook here. Later changed into an English Tudor Castle in 1964.
2000 Photo Photo after 1964 & 1984 restyling - Show Full Size
(House listed in Long Island Country Homes and Their Architects 1860-1940 pg 512). Click here to go to this home web site with 100's of photo's and detailed history.
60 Awixa Avenue - News on 60 Awixa carriage house fire 1 2 3
This property is for sale in 2010. Click here for info.
The following was copied from Trulia.com:
65 Awixa - Built by Dr. J.V. Wooley, This property is being completely renovated by Jeffrey Sperling for his family. Jeffrey owns Jeff Scott Construction a high end construction firm here in Suffolk County. Renovated house pictures to follow.
68 Awixa (show full size) Wray Homestead. This home also had a carriage house burn in August 2010. Please see fire at 60 Awixa Avenue as both homes had carriage houses that burned together.
82 Awixa (show full size) Mollenhauer Farm designed in 1913 directly across from Homeport included a dairy, silo, greenhouse and cottage for the farmer all in white shingle.
85 Awixa (show full size) -Homeport - built by J. Adolph and Anna Mollenhauer - Designed in 1898 by architect Cornell of New York, constructed by J.E.Van Orden of Great River, and landscaped by N.F.Barrett of New York designers of Bayberry Point. It was unusual due to its Italian aura and beautiful gardens, ponds and rivers. (Long Island Country Homes and Their Architects 1860-1940 pg 513)
Mollenhauer Sugar Refining Company, Brooklyn, NY was Mollenhauer's sugar refinery, est.. abt.1869, on Kent Ave. near So.11th in Brooklyn. John Mollenhauer, born 1827 in Germany, came to NY in 1850 and found employment in a grocery store. He opened his own in 1852. In 1869 he established the sugar refinery on Kent & Rush. 1887 he turned the business over to his eldest sons, J. Adolph & F.D. Mollenhauer The Mollenhauer Sugar Refinery bought the water front property of the Peoples Gas Light Co. (est. 1864) for the sum of 300,000 dollars on June 11,1896. Mollenhauer's steam yacht Thelma, burned off Huntington, L.I. on July 7, 1896. (Above from: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~blkyn/Streets/K.Street.html). Click here for a website showing the farm houses on Awixa that Mollenhauer owner.
In 1899 Mr. Mollenhauer purchased all of Penataquit Point for the future use of his yacht club Penataquit Corinthian Yacht Club. The club remained active until July 1, 1909 when it was announced that the yacht club would not reopen for the summer season. Mr. Mollenhauer passed away in 1926 after 40 summers spent in Bay Shore. The yacht club later reformed (click here to read more about the Penataquit Corinthian Yacht Club.)
99 Awixa (show full size)
100 Awixa (show full size)
1906-1922 1906-1922 1923 Kely
Thurber House - (Being researched)
143 Awixa Rafael Guastavino son of the famous architect Rafael Guastavino (Pictured Below) and his all tile home. Rafael built this home in 1912. It was later owned by Mr. and Mrs.. Frank Gulden (Gulden's Mustard) .(Long Island Country Homes and Their Architects 1860-1940 pg 500). This beautiful and historic home boasts 16 rooms, 8 Bedrooms,3 Full Baths + 1 Half Bath, with 230' Bay frontage, and is on a 230x227' lot.. Her you also see two thumbnails showing the Gulden Families (mustard) subsequent ownership. If you haven't been there already, you can click here for many photos of this house as well as some interesting history. It was listed for sale as of April 2003 for 2.5 Million Dollars (and then subsequently sold) with a little more than one acre and is located at the mouth of the Awixa Creek in a beautiful spot. It is reported that in 2010 the home has again been put up for sale. You can look at the listing here.
In 2005 "The Tile House" is being designated in Albany by the Preservation League of New York State as one of the houses on its "Seven to Save List". You can read the Newsday article about these facts, including more of the Guastavino history, by clicking here.
Vincent & Koko Crisci, Florida property developers, sold 143 Awixa Avenue in December, 2010 to George & Harriet McDonald, of New York City. The Crisci's stated that they purchased the house in 2005 in order to save the house from being demolished to make way for another MacMansion. They invested five years of time and money in restoring the house, and the McDonald's promised them that they will continue to restore the house.
History of The Guastavino's
Rafael Guastavino (1872 - 1950) came to New York from Catalonia, Spain in 1888 at the age of 10. His father, (1842-1908) pictured left, also Raphael, was famous for his invention of "cohesive construction" techniques. He is credited as the inventor of the "Guastavino Arch" which was used in the construction of the New York City subway system. (Click on picture to read more about the father and then click here and then here) and here and here. The junior Raphael apprenticed under his father' company and became known for the invention of interlocking tiles used in the interior of domes in elliptical work. This work became even more famous than his fathers "Arch". His work using this process created amazingly large expansive arches of tiles in many famous structures including: The Cathedral of St. John the Devine in New York's. Bartholomew's in Riverside, NY, and Temple Emanuel in Manhattan. His arches are also found in the Gould library at NYU.
This beautiful home is still used as a landmark by sailors who traverse the Great South Bay. Built like a Mediterranean style villa it is covered entirely by beautiful tiles. (Along The Great South Bay, Harry W. Havemeyer)
146 Awixa - A more recent house with its own morbid history.
The author was unable to determine the South Awixa Avenue street address of the following South Awixa Avenue homes.
Frederick E. Ballard Sr. House - Awixa address unknown -
Emil Frank House - Awixa address unknown -
Julian Douglas Fairchild House - Awixa address unknown -
William Henry Gunther III house - Awixa address unknown -
Joseph Huntington Lester house - Awixa address unknown -
Unknown addresses on one open page with pictures expanded